Useful Information

Information and documentation required for the wedding of two South African citizens.

In the case of a wedding between two South African citizens you will have to provide the following information and documentation.

  • Full names and surnames of bride and groom.
  • South African ID numbers of both.
  • Bride’s maiden surname.
  • Bride’s current legal surname.
  • Countries of birth.
  • Cities or towns of birth.
  • Dates of birth.
  • Telephone numbers.
  • Current residential address of both.
  • Highest academic qualification of both.
  • Current position of employment for both.
  • Residential address after the wedding.
  • Will the bride be taking the groom’s surname after the wedding?
  • Full names, South African ID numbers and telephone numbers of the two people who will sign the marriage register as witnesses.
  • Certified copies of the ID documents of the couple and the two witnesses.
  • 3 Colour passport size photos of each of the couple.
  • Copies of divorce decrees if either or both of are divorcees.
  • Copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse should either or both have been widowed.
  • Should you be marrying with an ante-nuptial contract, a letter from the conveyancer who drew up the contract, confirming that a valid contract has been entered into.

Additional requirements for a wedding involving a non South African citizen.

There are additional requirements in cases where one or both of the parties is a citizen of a foreign country.

Both parties that wish to get legally married in South Africa will need to appear in person (with the correct documentation as below) at a Home Affairs Office, preferably but not necessarily the same office where I am registered as a marriage officer which is Home Affairs in Paarl in order to make an appointment with the immigration interviewing officer.

The documentation (especially the Letters or Certificates of No Impediment will be verified by the official on duty to secure an interview date and time.

Once the interview has been successfully concluded, an Immigration Report will be drawn up and submitted to the marriage section who will authorise me as marriage officer to proceed with the solemnization of the marriage. I may not proceed without such authority.

The documentation required for a non South African citizen is as follows:

  • A copy of the front page of your passport.
  • A copy of the Visa Page in your passport – or the last entry stamp through customs found in your passport.
  • 3 Colour passport size photos.
  • If you have been previously married, Home Affairs will require a copy of the decree of divorce/death certificate (whichever applies) which will be submitted on your behalf.
  • A letter of non-impediment. This is an official certificate from your country of citizenship’s Home Affairs confirming that there are no marriages currently registered in your name in their books.
  • You will be required to sign an Affidavit which is basically a declaration of purpose of marriage.